The Exam Room technician is the veterinarian’s primary medical support. They begin the examination procedure and continue to assist the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases. They aid the veterinarians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. They have a very significant role in communicating with and education clients about their pets.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Licensure Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Veterinary Technician Certification (CVT) desirable but not required.
- Previous On-The-Job Training desirable when not a CVT.
Previous veterinary experience desirable but not a requirement.
Previous customer service skills desirable but not a requirement.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain.
- Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis.
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature.
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members.
- Has excellent client communication skills.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
The range for the position is $11.00 per hour to $14.00per hour.
Benefits are outlined in the employee manual and are separate from the hourly wage.
- Can easily remember clients and patients names and uses them.
- Can conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Can legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance hospital policy.
- Can prepare client invoices for services performed
- Can accurately handle payment transactions
- Can work to maintain an effective veterinarian appointment schedule, screening emergencies and prioritizing cases that need to be seen
- Answers telephones and handle calls quickly, efficiently and in a professional and friendly manner using a multi-line system.
- Can Enter and update client and patient information into practice computer software.
- Has good computer skills and shows accuracy in inputting details
- Can prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Can perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
- Can effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
- Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
- Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
- Can educate clients on over-the-counter products such as shampoos and nutraceuticals; has full knowledge of heartworm and external parasite preventives to promote client education and sales
- Can guide client’ to make appropriate decisions regarding optimum pet care
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Gives SQ, IM and IV injections.
- Can handle client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
- Can prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
- Can explain necessary follow-up and home care instructions.
- Understands usage, dosage, and common side-effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
- Can maintain an appropriate inventory of all medical supplies as determined by the inventory control system. .
- Can prepare a patient and the machine for an ultrasound procedure.
- Can admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
- Can discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
If you've got what it takes to be an exam room technician, apply today.